Monday, March 28, 2011

mesquite jungle...

Just in the past week - the mesquite has sprouted leaves and flowers.  Nice to see the sudden patches of green pop up on the brown landscape.  Had another cow day here today which included another big chew on the IP cam wire so one of my web cams is down yet again.  Got a 25' tower/observation platform on the drawing board for that cam so the gnawed wire scheme is soon to be a thing of the past.

My very first hand feeder longhorn is back in the neighborhood after a many months long absence - Beatrice, Benita's daughter.  She has a new calf this year which I have named Penelope after the writer of the NYTimes piece.  Little P is getting used to me and soon I hope to have her eating out of my hand. 

My buddy David (make sure to check out his blog  http://terlinguabound.blogspot.com/ ) told me this morning at the GS that the Marcums were out working on their place .  This is the couple I performed the wedding for at TFL over a year ago - and they are still married.  I took the Knob Creek over to crack open for a mid-afternoon adult cold beverage.
Worked in the shipping and handling department today boxing up the recent Benita Mug orders.  Thanks for supporting TFL by purchasing the postcard sets and Benita mugs.  BTW - the mug orders include an extra treat.  80,90,44,0,B 

6 comments:

markiesparkie said...

Yay for green showing! I've been told that when mesquite trees bud, last freeze has occurred. If you've got nothing to do, might as well plant some poomatoes!

A. Bear said...

So I have just been tuned into your blog Sir, and watned to say it`s fantastic. Love the pictures, and the continued updates of your process out there at TFL.

Jim in WNC said...

Hi John. I've been checking out your blog for a month or so. Would a corrugated steel grain bin (round) work as a potential dwelling in your area? I think the shape would work well with the wind and it seems simple to build and easy to maintain. Thanks for sharing your SW Texas life.

Anonymous said...

COLD Knob?

mwsmarc said...

It is true, the mesquite's leafing out means no more freezes. (97% right). Also, the pale green of new mesquite leaves is one of the prettiest colors in nature.

Allen Hare said...

It's always good to have young 'uns about.
We're heading off on our annual trip to Korea next week. Will order some mugs when we get back. I'm thinking they'd make excellent birthday or Christmas presents, so might need to keep a few extras on hand.