Wednesday, March 23, 2011

plant day

Just couldn't bring myself to more tank level'n today - just a bit of prep for the next session.  Got an email last night from my buddy Bill about the waterboxx experiment.  Seems the seeds might need another extra dose of agua to help them sprout.  Headed over to the site with water in tow and dowsed all the boxxes with 1 liter each.  Two out of 32 (I said 30 in a previous post) tests had seedlings sprouting already. 
Brought the rest of the water home and trickled it onto some of my favorite plants at the Lab.  More buds are popping out every day around here.  Fetched the flash drive out of the GardenWatchCam to check the 3rd test - worked well on the Cat's Eye plant at a full day with a shot taken every 5 seconds.  The camera is from http://www.brinno.com/   Caught quite a few pollinators doing their job.  Next test - a multi day shoot with one frame every 5 minutes to check bloom development....video soon.  77,90,50,0,B

12 comments:

Ricky said...

Fantastic slow motion flowers love to do this will you put the video online for download? Have always been interested in desert flowers but never had the time or money to go to photograph them myself but have raised a few in the greenhouse..I love the yellow flowers on the prickly pear cactus ..

GYPSY JESS said...

if you grow some beans, they grow really fast and it would make a great timelapse.....

old dollar said...

You are something else John...great work and keep it up!

alam0tx said...

Well!John..You have amazed me again..You are offthegrid and yet..Out in the middle of nowhere you are watching plants grow through the lense of a small camera..Sure want to see that video..

Gaelyn said...

Great to see first buds in the desert. Look forward to the video. Hope to see some blooming next week in Big Bend.

granadaman said...

The city in the desert, Scottsdale, AZ is blooming. On the other hand, it's still city. Would love to join you.

Jerry

Cindy Talbot said...

JW,

Checked out the garden cam website and it seems there are no dealers for it in the US. Guess I will brush up on my French and see if I can get one shipped for my two little garden stewards as my clients would enjoy watching the blubonnets grow and bloom on the ranch. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Talbot said...

how do you say Amazon in French? lol, they have it... but not the bird cam for some odd reason... (that I saw in my limited search)

Unknown said...

on the waterboxx experiment I would use dihydrogen monoxide

Anonymous said...

Interesting about slow motion,but at my age of 85 I do not even buy green bananas any more.I am still in Hong Kong and at my home in North Dakota it was 8 below zero yesterday,so no rush to go there.Is Benita having a big birthday party? She is about my age in long horn years.Adrian Dokken

Bruce S said...

Can't wait to get my Benita mug. That coffee will be goooood.

Allen Hare said...

It took me a while to figure that photo one is taken through the opening in the waterboxx. Nice sprouts!

I checked the link to the garden watch cam. They've got some cool products.