Sunday, December 11, 2016

background check II...

Something has been on my mind a lot lately which for awhile gave me some doubts about my trip down Christian Lane.  I think it all goes back to a post from a little over 4 years ago and this quote from then about my decision to embrace Christianity and accept Christ as my living savior...

"I thought long and hard about the something else that stuck in my mind...But what if I become "one of them...a saved CHRISTIAN"?   From my own experience and thanks to the media, I have a very vivid notion about the stereotypical Saved Christian.   I thought about that aspect for awhile and decided of the choices I have today - that might not be so bad, and I can certainly become my own version of my perception."

Well it seems I have become "my own version of my perception".  I have always been a very practical and somewhat reserved person when it comes to just about everything - including how I see my relationship with Christ.  I have not developed the feeling that there is any need to constantly gush over God.  I have also never broken down and cried out because I have lost sight of His benevolence during hard times.  Christians who do this over and over and over still give me the willies and it makes me uncomfortable.  Did they miss or forget something along the way?...or are they just following a perception of how they should behave.  I have come to realize that I simply have accepted the Truth of his plan and try to live my life accordingly - always cognizant and thankful of His blessings in my life and to seek my place in His Kingdom by living by His rules.  That alone is hard enough - but trying to conform to behavior based on the perception of a group just confuses the path.

Matthew 13 : 9 Anyone who is willing to hear should listen and understand!"10 His disciples came and asked him, "Why do you always tell stories when you talk to the people?" 11 Then he explained to them, "You have been permitted to understand the secrets of the Kingdom of Heaven, but others have not. 12 To those who are open to my teaching, more understanding will be given, and they will have an abundance of knowledge. But to those who are not listening, even what they have will be taken away from them. 13 That is why I tell these stories, because people see what I do, but they don't really see. They hear what I say, but they don't really hear, and they don't understand. 14 This fulfills the prophecy of Isaiah, which says: 'You will hear my words, but you will not understand; you will see what I do, but you will not perceive its meaning.15 For the hearts of these people are hardened, and their ears cannot hear, and they have closed their eyes -- so their eyes cannot see, and their ears cannot hear, and their hearts cannot understand, and they cannot turn to me and let me heal them.' 

7 comments:

Off Grid Research said...

Well Said John!

David said...

Thank you for that John. It was extremely helpful to me to read that this morning. I struggle with the call from my church to actively evangelize. It's just counter to my personality and nature. Funny thing is I do get presented with opportunities to share my faith in certain situations and I am comfortable with that and I hope I have taken advantage of every opportunity.

Margery Billd said...

Amen to all.

pamit said...

Insightful. I've always wondered how any "individualist" can embrace a religious regimen. There's not much room for rolling your own in Christian dogma, but it sounds like that's just what John is doing, albeit with some discomfort. As a non-believer trying to walk a moral path, I'm happy not to have to struggle with such superficial expectations of behavior.

John Wells said...

What I have learned is there is no need for anyone to "embrace a religious regimen". It is all about asking Christ into your life and He shows you the path. Being "religious" is just a societal title and a silly game. Having a personal relationship with Jesus is very real. Walking a "normal path" outside of Him is a very dangerous game - a game that Satan will win in the end.

pamit said...

We'll just have to disagree, John, that walking a moral path "outside of Him" is a "dangerous game". The notion that a person trying to live a life of compassion is in danger from Satan, if that person doesn't worship Jesus, is without merit. One might even call such a belief part of that religious, MANdated behavior that you don't cotton to.

Surely a Christian, especially an individualist one (for lack of a better term), should celebrate compassionate ways of living and treatment of other beings.

And on the flipside, such a Christian should condemn out-of-hand ways of living that harm other creatures, or cause pain and suffering - regardless of whether the person causing such harm believes in Jesus or not.

John Wells said...

As I said in the post...it is the behavior I don't "cotton to"...not the rules of a Living God. Not only is it a dangerous game - but it is just plain foolish to deny Christ no matter how you rationalize it...especially since he is revealed to you once you ask Him into your heart. All your "compassionate ways of living" don't mean squat in the end. John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.