Tuesday, December 13, 2016

drop test...


Let's face it...with proper training, you aren't supposed to drop out of the sky when landing a paramotor whether it be by foot or trike.  For that matter - all pilots are trained to "not drop out of the sky" but to land gently.  Although they certainly engineer big planes to handle heavy loads on landing - they don't test 747's by dropping them 50 feet in case the pilot doesn't know how to land.  That being said...I did some unweighted drop tests with my DIY trike from 5 feet just to make sure there isn't a major flaw somewhere in my design since I am not a rocket scientist.  No problems.  I don't think there is any reason to go to this extreme. 64,80,40,0,C

5 comments:

Chipper said...

....good engineering and good fabrication!...

John Wells said...

Thanks Chipper...I'm just glad nothing snapped - like my leg did two years ago.

Margery Billd said...

Thinking of everything. Good to be thorough.

Mike Silvius said...

Three thousand lbs is a bit over the top, but I think I would be tempted to put a load equal to the Max-Take-Off-Weight of your wing and drop it flat level from about 3 ft elevation.

John Wells said...

Although I really don't think it is necessary...I am curious about a full weighted drop test. If anything - it would certainly make for another good video. Logistically - it's tricky. A little more complex than just throwing it off the back of my pickup.