Tuesday, August 9, 2016

willing and able...

A couple of good storms popped up again in the area so I got my "pumping station" ready.  Laid out the lines and the PVC inlet.  I made the PVC piping a couple of years ago when I discovered the soft outlet hose doesn't like to bend when it is under pressure.  It is all ready to go but I'll keep the pump back in the greenhouse to till I'm ready - it really doesn't like to start when it is soaked and I don't really need to make a housing for it out in the field since it is easy to move.  One of my neighbors west of me got almost 2" of rain today.  Me...just a sprinkle.  I have high hopes for later in the week  though...75,94,74, .09",C

6 comments:

GloomyGus said...

What does water in those tanks do for you? How do you end up using it for you or the longhorns?

John Wells said...

I have 3 tanks by the arroyo (3000, 3000, and 1500 gallons) that I pump water into from runoff after a heavy storm. The creek will run for a little over an hour after it rains hard. The water goes to Big Ben - enough to last him about 5 months when they are all full. With the pump, I can fill them all up with only two heavy rainstorms. The pump will move 3,000 gallons in about 45 minutes. The water is pretty cloudy when it goes it but settles out in about 2 weeks. In a number of fillings over the years there is less than 1/8" of sediment in the bottom of the tanks.

J said...

John, I was out in your neck of the desert last week visiting the McDonald Observatory and the Fort Davis historical site. A full day of great fun and education! Have you visited either place since you've been out there?

John Wells said...

I have been to the town of Ft. Davis...but not the historical site or the observatory. I have only been to the National Park once and that was only because I had relatives visiting. I'm not much for touristy things. I was in NYC for 6 years before I even went to the top of the Empire State Bldg.

J said...

I can understand that. I grew up little more than an hour away from Niagara Falls, but didn't go there until I had moved away and went back north to see relatives. But...McDonald Observatory is hardly touristy!

Margery Billd said...

Well I'm not too fond of heights and I have no desire to visit the Empire State Bldg.