Tuesday, October 13, 2009

missed the rain

Well dang!!...got a good dose of rain quickly last night around 2AM that I completely slept through. Missed what might have been my last chance this fall to top off my tanks with creek water. Could tell this morning that the flow was more than enough to add the 3600 gallons I had room for. A good half inch fell in about an hour. One more slight chance tonight of rain so I will sleep with one eye open.

Being swamped in for the day - nothing better to do than to work. After about two hours of prep - I mixed and poured the caps for both sides of the east greenhouse wall. Took 12 bags of concrete mix. i forgot how much "fun" it is to mix that much concrete by hand. All in all, it really didn't take that long but the sun was out and it got up to about 90 degrees. Also prepped 4 cinder blocks for the stand for my second 123watt solar panel. Had almost enough left over concrete to fill the blocks. It is about time I got this going as that second panel is just laying on the ground.
Benita and Beatrice were here all day - not helping, just hanging out. Caught Beatice posing next to the go kart late this afternoon.....yeah, maybe I've been out in the desert by myself too long. Topped off the day early with a much needed shower. 77,92,62, 0.50

9 comments:

k1mgy said...

What you need is a newfangled rain detector:

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/raindetectors.htm

John Wells said...

might just have to make one of those....thanks!

mike said...

I see Beatice is showing her best side lol

Bob from Athens said...

Looks like she is trying to line up another "poop" shot, better move the buggy.

Anonymous said...

John, I bet you'll have another chance to fill the tanks. From what I hear your gonna get more rain. Thats gotta mess with your sleep habit sleeping with one eye open. lol

neil said...

Every VCR and camcorder has a dew/condensation sensor. These are usually a small black thick-film resistive element on a 1/4 inch square aluminum plate with two wires attached. When the humidity increases above 90%, the resistance of the sensor element changes from 1K to 10K. This device is relatively fast in detecting wet conditions but takes a while to recover

Bob from Athens said...

John like a lot of other retired old fart's, I got me a lot of "what if time". What if you buried those water tanks down to about the top about ground level, I know...caliche, been there tried to dig that. But with a little help from bobcat you may find a soft spot, then go up stream a ways and build a small diversion dam and then run some 4 inch pipe , or a ditch down to the tanks and let gravity fill them while you sleep?

Anonymous said...

Nice Cam! this would be the first Time I had a chance to really watch it. that must be Ryan and fluffy in the mule your talking to.

Also people can say what they want about your blue gators. Gators are the secret to happy feet and a boost in energy. I got a pair of black ones with leather on the tops.

Pipsqeek said...

If you sleep with one eye open, you get to stay in bed twice as long, since you only get half as much sleep.