Thursday, October 8, 2009

moon impact

The huge storm that hit Lajitas HARD just sprinkled on the Field Lab last night. Heard sketchy reports of some blown off roofs and flooding. I only got .21" and just some 35mph gusts. Glued to the Doppler radar last night and was sure I'd be pumpin' water out of the creek but no luck. This vehicle for sale down by Bee Mountain Hardware had its top peeled off - bet the asking price will go down.
Stacked more block and fetched more sand today. Only worked about two hours what with a lunch break and a trip down to Study Butte to stock up in case of more rain before I get to Alpine next week. Had to free up the outside truss with a quick sturdy stand so I could use the scaffold back inside the courtyard. Finished off the east wall and now ready to build forms for the concrete cap that will top it off.

Decided on the webcam to buy for my future live feed. http://www.stardot.com/netcamxl/index.html Will be sending that video to the fieldlab dot org site but will still use the stickam.com site for live interactive video from time to time. Two live feeds for the price of one! For now I am broadcasting live from about 7:30 to 9AM for the sunrise and the Breakfast with Benita show at http://www.thefieldlab.org/webcam.html 86,97,63,0
Don't forget to tune in tomorrow morning by 7AM eastern time to catch the NASA moon impact vehicles. http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/lcross-centaur-separation/

9 comments:

mike said...

we need rain too

jandean said...

So, "Breakfast with Benita" starts at 7:30am? I haven't seen anything since "Cam on Spam". I need a tv guide, man. I'm spoilt.

Tiffany said...

Missouri Grandma says turn off the spout here in the Show Me State. We have been shown 3.75" in 20 hrs. Then the nice little rain Gods can spout off every where else!

neil said...

Benita's comin' in for breakfast!
http://player.stickam.com/stickamPlayer/178627000-11538835

Andy V said...

Enjoyed the Benita AND Beatrice show this morning while front came thru SA bringing nice rain with it.

Ben in Texas said...

This Friday morning I actually remembered to get up and turn on the camera.. Watched it get light and the feeding. Managed to miss the moon crash landing by NASA by "that" much.

Think I will try and find me an internet camera. Tried both of the ole ones I got and won't work with XP pro. Then "maybe" figer out how to do a live feed from here like John does. :-)

Thanks for the show John!!!

neil said...

Do you charge your laptop via the AC adapter or do you have a 12V automotive power supply so you do not have to use the inverter?

czardastx said...

Went to the link for the camera you're looking at. I'm amazed at the quality of the feed. If I had a reason to run a webcam I'd get one of those. Even the feed from the 0.3 megapixel was nice.

I wish there was a way to stream video from my iPhone. Then I'd have something to show. Maybe I'll play with my netbook (it has a camera built in) and see if I can stream with it. If I do I'll stream breakfast from the Monument Cafe tomorrow morning.

Pipsqeek said...

If your netbook is running Linux, you can install an app called Motion. This will stream video from your webcam.