Sunday, March 1, 2009

Yarn

For as long as I can remember, I have had the pleasure of knowing a great story teller. This guy was the master of relating news of the day in a way that really put it in the right context. He could spin a yarn with just the right amount of twists and turns to keep me on the edge of my seat till the suprise ending came. His stories always had a good side to what could sometimes be a tragic tale. Somehow there was always a silver lining - if not in the actual story, at least in the message it was sending. I couldnt even begin to tell you how many times I have heard this guy on almost a weekly basis - often daily. He had a distinct signature in his delivery that assured he owned every word he spoke. His reputation as such an excellent communicator made it easy to trust his judgment in life - If he suggested something, it was probably the right thing to do. As an older gentleman, my friend held fast to moral standards no longer present in modern society. Last of a dying breed in America. He has been telling stories since 1951 but I only started hearing my true favorites in 1976. He was not family or even anyone I had ever met personally but he always seemed like an old friend. I learned a lot from this man over the years. I heard his stories on the radio.

His name was Paul Harvey. He died yesterday at the age of 90. I kind of feel like I have lost a best friend. At the ripe old age of 82 back in 2000 - he signed a 10 year, 100 million dollar contract with ABC Radio Networks. I think they short changed him. And now you know.....the rest of story.

Good day!

9 comments:

gumo said...

I'm with you on missing Paul Harvey. -rick

Barney, The Old Fat Man said...

Very well put. thank you.

Nat said...

I always liked the smirk I thought I could detect in his voice as he bid me "good day" at the end of his quirky news piece. Godspeed, Paul Harvey.

Anonymous said...

I always thought of him as the "good" news.

Anonymous said...

I was very sad to hear of his passing.
Thank you for the kind words.

lastsix said...

All the good ones are leaving us and no one is filling their shoes.

Anonymous said...

a good long life! Brian, OFM, Mark, Lloyd, or Baxter can now take over for Paul Harvey!!!!

gumo said...

John, I listened to the program about you on KRTS-online tonight. It was great listening entertainment. I wish the interview were available on their website for others to hear.

Unknown said...

From Maine to Oklahoma to Tejas Paul Harvey was a constant. He weaved his stories from the 1960's through the millennium for me and I always found myself comforted by those tales. He will be missed-John