Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Flowers for my gal...

Pretty damp all around the Field Lab grounds this morning - especially at the road at the end of my driveway. Drove the truck out through the dry shortcut to Capt. Kirks to check the roads. Took the NW loop up and around to try to get to Agua Fria Rd. About a mile out I came to a stretch of swamp - no go. Looped back and took the road past Leon's camp and the road was just fine...most of the .18" that fell last night must have been just on me. Safely to the HWY, I stopped at the Grub Shack for a breakfast sandwich to go and hit the road to Alpine.

Made all the usual stops: Johnson Feed for cow snacks, McCoys for more container paint and solar panel mount parts, Bennett Jones for a visit, the Food Basket for grub and refrigerant, and finally the gas station. In and out in about 3 hours. Stopped by Chuck's to drop off a gallon of paint I owed him and sat'n'chatted for awhile. Home safe and sound by 5PM to unload. On the way down the HWY, I spotted a fine looking Yucca bloom and snatched it for Benita. She was laying down when I pulled in but got right up to chow on the flowers.

Lots of sun all day that bumped my battery banks back full - which was agood thing as the sump pump was quite a drain on them. Topped off the tank that I had withdrawn 100 gallons from to mix concrete for the container footings. Now the pool is just two tiny puddles. (50% chance of more rain tomorrow) Unpacked and put away all the goods from the shopping spree and sat in the shade to drink a beer while Benita munched away.

Around 7 PM I happened to notice a red truck pulling a long travel trailer going west on the road just north of me. It was my friend Ryan on his way to his newly purchased land to set up camp. Knowing how and where he was going I shot out on the go kart to catch up to him....he was headed for a swamp. I met up with him at an intersection and suggested he ride just a little down the road with me to see what was around the corner. He was not to be deterred since he had come this far so he decided to go for it with the rig.....and was stopped dead in the middle of the muck. This kid knows all the tricks and has the right tools and pulled his big truck and trailer right out of the mud with the huge winch on the front of the bumper. He got the monster rig to his plot in no time. I really enjoy helping someone who knows what he's doing.

9 comments:

Flag Discounter said...

Is Leon still camping out in his tent?

Anonymous said...

Benita has the most beautiful horns!

MsBelinda said...

Benita is a lucky cow!! Wow, is Leon still tent camping in this heat?

Is Ryan the solar guru guy with a small white dog that likes to shoot his potato machine?

Everyone is moving to Terlingua Ranch...I must say I am a little bit envious...maybe someday I too will join the ranks.

Debbie In The Big O said...

Hey John, Saw you on Texas Country Reporter, and have been following your blog ever since. Reason for my comment is because I can't embiggen the Benita picture, and I sooo wanted to! Benita looks like she is just lovin' that yucca plant, and the sky and clouds are gorgeous. I do wish all of your photos were expandable. Thanks for sharing, it made my day!

Flag Discounter said...

Debbie,

Here is the bigger picture of Benita. Just cut and paste into your browser.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tf7Dn-Kj1LM/ShyQ4L-9mwI/AAAAAAAABQE/axvZ3xA-M94/s320

Allen Hare said...

I have always thought a winch with a Danforth Anchor would be appropriate in your neck of the woods, since there are no trees to hook onto to pull yourself out. That Danforth will just dig itself into the sand and not let go 'till you are right on top of it and pull it out from directly above. What did your friend hook on to to pull himself out?

Tobster said...

How are you handling refrigeration these days? Did you transition from the ice chest? Always start my day with a cup of coffee and the latest from " The Field Lab ". Thanks

Debbie In The Big O said...

Flag Discounter, That was PERFECT...Thank you!

Admin. said...

Clouds really building to the SW of you today.

Glad you got part of that rain that hit after midnight 25th here, we got 4/10ths.

Figured you are about 35-40 miles ESE of us, so judging when clouds or rain hit you, if they do, is sort of a rough guess, but interesting to attempt.

Dagger blooms will add a nice flavor to cows raised for meat, know the ones you are feeding are not for meat, but just an interesting fact.