Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tough Love

Layed down the law this morning...gave some snacks to Benita and Guillermo and told the rest to kindly F off. Seemed to work if only for today as there were only 11 in for supper. Aunt Kathy and I finished up priming their container by 1:30 - Chuck did the finishing touches. Swung by Julianne's to drop off a chunk of Field Lab Bread and got a look at her first harvest.

Made a late afternoon run to Study Butte Water Supply for 125 gallons to supplement mi agua. Got home at 5:30 and let it siphon into my 550 gallon tank. Snacked the small evening crowd while my dinner heated up in the solar oven (canned chili and vegis). Topped it off with some Field Lab Bread with avocado and cheese. Perhaps next year it will be an avocado from my greenhouse and goat cheese from my herd...I ain't about to try milkin' a longhorn.

8 comments:

Ben in Texas said...

That read chillie she has "looks" like a chili pique ( sp?) those are not meant for human composition by gringos :-) however, seeded and chopped very small are great in a salad

Son of Liberty said...

That actually looks pretty good. Hey John, what happened to the weather reports?

Billy Bob said...

Hi John, thanks for your kind offer to squat on your land. May be down that way come bout October or November when I take off from Deming, NM. for the winter.
I know this sounds silly, but how you gonna win that bet when ya do the work for the competition? HUH??? Ya know Chuck is gonna tell everyone he won fair and square.
The pups miss Terlingua same as I do.

Allen Hare said...

As usual, the photo of the longhorns is beautiful. Something about them, or the quality of the light there really does it. A small goat herd would be cool. Have you thought of a yard full of chickens. Don't know how they'd do in the climate there, of if coyotes would get them.

MsBelinda said...

Your dinner sure looks good.

You are a good person helping your friends prime and paint their containers.

Did Julianne share some of her chile piquin with you?

Julianne said...

The pepper is just a somewhat stunted cayenne pepper. First of the season. I offered it to John, but he wouldn't take it. I bet he won't turn down an offer of tomatoes when they finally get ripe :-)

Bob O said...

Hmmm...,yep, I'm thinking of coming out to look at and during chili cook off tine, so I'll be by.....

Gotta say that goats won't make it there, and if they do, they'll destroy your land. Chickens? They'll get by anywhere with the right care, and you will have eggs, too. Takes some time, though.

Well, I'll either be out there in late August (crazy, I know, but a friend is getting married in OK Aug. 1) or for the chili in November. Still trying to get it together.

Yep, good community here. John, you are an inspiration for me to work more on my own house, and when I come by I'll definitely lend a hand.

Bob O said...

...coming out to look at some land, that is...sorry for all the typos.