Thursday, May 14, 2009

Told Ya So....

Ok....I had inside information but just wanted to make it sound like I was speculating on the immanent demise of the Ranch Supply Store. Like I said yesterday...soon to be gone for good. Cut in the south side of the SW container this morning - then breakfast at the Grub Shack.

Had more warnings of afternoon thunderstorms through the weekend so I shot up to Alpine for some goods. Ran into my buddy EOT http://emilyoftexas.wordpress.com/ at Johnson Feed. Stocked up quick on goods and coasted back home to big clouds building to the south. Passed off some water to Betty and Coke to Chuck then came back to the Field Lab. Got home just in time for the fact checker to call me about the page for the July issue of Texas Monthly. Not a longhorn in sight except for Benita who was right by the house. Her turn to chill out. A bit later I spied a black calf all alone out in the grass. A BIG group came in for a late-late afternoon snack and turns out Carmella is the momma of the lost one...Sergio must be the father.

Had a late afternoon downpour for about a half hour that only amounted to .08" of rain... just enough to cut the dust. Finished off the day chatting with my photog buddy James Evans http://www.bigbendpictures.com/Welcome%20.html from Marathon. TM tapped him to do the photo of me. We hope to nail this early tomorrow morning.

7 comments:

Bob O said...

Sound like paradise.

Sorry to see a place go out of business.

You do need some good dogs....

Still saving up for the G10.

Allen Hare said...

I checked out the link to James Evans. What great work. That French Grocery looks like a great opportunity for the right person, or persons. We've been down to Marathon for the annual "Campfire at the Gage Hotel" a number of times. It's a cool little town.

kahuna said...

It's gotta be really cool to come home and have this big cow just hanging out, not messing anything up, just waiting for ya. sorry to hear about the dog, I hope it turns up.

John Wells said...

Mr. Frank Large, owner of the Ranch Supply Store called me today to voice displeasure about yesterdays blog post. I was mostly trying to give solice to the locals out here that are losing their quick stop to pick up essential odds'n'ends - not trying to malign Mr. Large as a business man. In all fairness, I would like to add that he certainly wasn't getting rich off the store and provided a much needed service to the area. His water tanks were still cheaper than could be had in Alpine even before the recent 20% discount. I have spent quite a bit of money there myself over the past 17 months. Although I will miss the convenience - I stand by my remark that folks can save money by shopping smarter and the markup on concrete was excessive in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I would be curious to know why he is going out of business. I wonder if it has anything to do with his business model. Competition abhors a vacuum.

Jason21 said...

Upon enlarging the pic of Benita, I noticed a couple of empty Miller Lite longnecks by the porch. Looks like she just finished them. haha. I love free beer but ML is my brew of choice. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'll be sure to bring along a couple of 18 packs.

Bob O said...

I'm always sorry to hear when any business has to shut down, especially one that provides goods and maybe services and especially beer to a remote location. Business is a tough game anywhere, but it takes a special sort of person to run one in a the outback. Maybe you should all consider some sort of co-op model? Just a thought, I'm not there.

John, I always thought you spoke well of the supply store, and were fair and balanced.