Sunday, June 30, 2013

suggested reading


"When a man is getting better, he understands more and more clearly the evil this is still left in him.  When a man is getting worse, he understands his own badness less and less."

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way."

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul...You have a body"

Lewis is the ideal persuader for the half-convinced, for the good man who would like to be a Christian but finds his intellect getting in the way.  
New York Times Book Review

5 comments:

gumo said...

Thanks, John. I'm gonna take you up on that recommendation, thanks to my Kindle.

Jay said...

Interesting comment, gumo.

Especially considering that your avatar is a picture of "Devil's Tower" in Wyoming.

gumo said...

No, my avatar is a photo of Guadalupe Peak in Texas.

Judy said...

The rest of Lewis' books on his take of Christianity are also recommended. The one I reread regularly is The Screwtape Letters. I chuckle, nod and have my conscience prodded every time I read it.

Anonymous said...

I agree Judy. The Screwtape Letters are needed when I need an attitude adjustment. :-)