Thursday, September 27, 2012

found a hole











Been waiting on my auger guy all week...still a no show.  Decided to do hole number one myself and go from there.  Digging went pretty easy - 3' down and 18" in diameter.  Since that went so well, I fetched pole number 1 that doubles as the SW corner of the pole barn and the new Ben fence range.  Used a jack stand I built for when I raised the trusses.  Turned out the extension I put on it for my out of service flame thrower was just the ticket.  Jacked the 12' pole up and it dropped in the hole.  Step two went well so I decided to go ahead and fix it into place with 6 bags of concrete.  A full days hard labor ain't so bad when you don't do it every day.  16 more holes to go - sure hope the auger guy shows up. 
71,91,70, .08,B,0

9 comments:

JohnnyM said...

Good job! Well done. I helped putting up a 500 s.f. Deck & I remember how much labor that was doing post holes & it was done with a team of 3!

Unknown said...

Nice work, I hope it's easier to dig there than east and central Texas, but I'm sure its rocky.

Glad to see it rained a bit there, I drove from Fredericksburg, TX to Houston, TX today and it was overcast most of the way and looked like it might rain, but never did. Even though it was a small amount, it was better than nothing.

remmij said...

you may need a 2nd pay phone so BenBot can drop 25¢ & phone home (from his new home) when he wants to... it'll be like sending the lad to boarding school, with separation anxiety all around :/
hope the absent auger shows soon... 16x wouldn't be fun & that's still a lot of fencing work after the holes.

Jay said...

Are you planning on including a webcam mount on one or more of those sturdy fence posts?

Rita B. said...

all that said....howz the ole body feel today? from the looks inside that hole, i don't think west texas was meant to be fenced.

LarryLilly said...

I think the auger guy reads this blog. He is waiting to see if you get em all done and then he will come out and charge you a trip charge.

I was wondering how the camera fit into the hole until I sam the diameter. yeah, the corners plus a gate plus mid rune fence holes = one tired dig and probably a few bad words spoken softly.

Dennis said...

dear ole Dad would go down 42" especially for a corner - so even considering different soil prob could go deeper / not so big around. And don't need any concrete around those posts, just pack the hard a** dirt back around them - they won't give a fraction.

Chris Miller said...

Would love to know who your auger guy is. We're going to have to rely heavily on contractors to help us get a foot hold in Terlingua in the coming months and it seems like there are a lot of deadbeats. I'm contemplating bringing my own....

Chris Miller
Our180.com - One Family's Journey To Finding True Happiness

Allen Hare said...

A good day's work. Nice results. Hope you're not too sore.