Monday, September 17, 2012

the memories...

Last time I was in Alpine, I checked at Radio Shack to see if they had any 8 gig SD cards in stock.  They didn't... they had been on sale, marked down from $17.99 to $11.99 all summer.  Ended up finding some at Amazon.com for only $5.75 each including free shipping.  I use these as an additional layer of backup for my photography.  I also store all the files on my computer as well as an external hard drive.  Once I fill up an SD card, I date it and store it away.  Depending on how itchy my trigger finger is - it takes on average about 6 months of shooting to max one out. 

Decided on a last minute run to Alpine this morning.  Knew at least 3 generations of Cains would be in town so I shot up to get some fencing wisdom from real cowboys.  Had a great catfish lunch at Penny's Diner.  Dick came to McCoys with me to look at some options.  Worked out a deal with Scott and Jared to get some steel pipe for my corners.  Scott's accountant was out of town so he sketched the invoice with chalk on the concrete floor of their shop. 

My friends at Premier Longhorns in Oklahoma
 http://www.premierlonghorns.com/  have been kind enough to answer a lot of my questions about how to train a longhorn for riding.  They posted this picture on their Facebook page today.  I might just have to print this out and stick it up in Ben's pen to inspire him.  85,95,49,0,B,0

10 comments:

just.Bob said...

I'm not a UT Longhorn fan, but I am a huge Texas Longhorn fan. The link was great! I think you are on the right path.

Unknown said...

Who's gonna pierce Ben's nose?

Unknown said...

Glad to hear Penny's is still there. A friend of mine and I always stop there on the way out of town after CASI every year for the past 4 years. I'm hoping the current trend in temperatures holds out until November this year.

Rita B. said...

Whoa pardner, that's one of my favorite watering holes. The 11th Street Cowboy Bar in Bandera. there's a few riding steers in that town along with a bunch of longhorns.

LarryLilly said...

Is Ben going to be roaming during the day, or fenced in? They are herd animals, and they like their own kind, or are you going to get him a playmate?

Off Grid R and D said...

Luckenbach sometines had a longhorn you get your picture taken on and can ride. He always looks tired.

Unknown said...

Don't you think Ben will try to eat that picture? He can be internally inspired.

Premier Longhorns said...

That is so funny about Ben eating the picture and being "IN"spired! LOL Okay, Let's inspire that cow-boy some more! Send him to www.premierlonghorns.com/RidingLonghorns.html and he'll be living the legend! LOL

Carlos said...

The survival rule of the '3' also appllies to digital media! I'd buy some DVD-W discs and burn each sd card to them in addition to the external hard drive. I've got DVD's the are 11-12 years old that still play just fine and CD that are 20 years old that still work as well. Anything this is 'flash writable' can be damaged by all kinds EM interference.

Allen Hare said...

We go through quite a few of those SD cards, as well. I never erase one, so all my original photos are stored on them, as well as an external hard drive.

Wishing you luck with the fenced pasture, and Ben's pole barn. I was concerned, also, about him wanting to hang out with the herd, for companionship, and for 'male needs' and such. I guess we'll see how those issues play out over time. As far as riding him, man, why don't you just get a horse? They make great companions, and are far more suitable for riding. I bet the Cain's can get you set up with one.

All the best to you and your menagerie.