Friday, August 21, 2009

thinkin' time over

A friend of mine back in my NYC days used to tell me....stop thinking about it and just do it. Since I'm much happier after a day of "doing" as opposed to a day of "thinking" - I decided to just do it. Scootched the truss down to the other end of the containers - blocked it off and welded it into place. Added some temporary braces to secure it for now. It all came together much easier than I thought it would. Had a short break in the middle of the project as a thunderstorm cell squeaked by just south of me. I only got .03" of rain out of it. Had a quick lunch after the sprinkle - a superb BLT from Ugly Betty and finished up the project my 7PM.

Nabbed my video this morning. Been wanting to get an underwater view of Benita drinking water so I built a small frame and placed plexiglass in the bottom. Set it up on cinder blocks and stuck my camera under to capture the sucking. Just add water and one thirsty longhorn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gbZLlgcIqo

11 comments:

Ron/Debbie said...

What material will you be using for your roof? Loved the video. A cow actually sucks the water. Very interesting.

Billy Bob said...

Good to see ya didn't "do nuttin" today. I know it takes time to move that truss the twenty feet....mostly go'n up and down the ladders. Sure looks good sit'n up there all secured.
LOL to the video. From the bottom side, if looks like ya need to trim Benitas whiskers. They was full of last nights dinner, or a dozen donuts for breakfast.

Ben in Texas said...

John,, you do know someone is going to promote that vid all over the World? bet it becomes one of those "What is it? " Dang cool though. and good deal on moving the truss. and welding her down. You are going to market your book on this whole experience aren't you? I see at least 3 to this point, then who knows how many from here out.

Bob from Athens said...

Kinda looks like a big ole carp or catfish, except for the horns.

gator said...

john you are crazzy who would ever think about filming a cow drinking that was cool.the truss look good

Unknown said...

Wow! What a great video! Thanks man!

Jim said...

What is you internet speed out there?
I have a place about 5 miles down the ranch road and was wondering what to expect when the time comes.
I met you a few years back when you were just building your house. Charlie, Dale,& I came by on 4 wheelers. Looks like you have came a long way.
Ben in Texas turned me onto your site. I'm trying to get him out there.

linda said...

I love Benita! What a cool idea!v

Unknown said...

Now that was creative! I've put it on DrDougs.com, on the Friends page, next to the picture of you in the desert. I've been following you since you met Dr. Doug, and you are one amazing cat. I'm coming to Terlingua with the expressed purpose of buying you a burger and a beer at the Grub Shack! And I'm bringing some range cubes for Benita. Thanks for the videos.

Jon

KE5MIL said...

Looking good, awesome video dude, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

A picture is worth a THOUSAND words. Thanks for the WONDERFUL biology lesson!

E TX ESL Teacher