Wednesday, August 12, 2009

welding wednesday

Made a morning run down to Study Butte....we got lots of showers floating around out there and I was almost out of coffee. Also picked up 5 gallons of H2O to go from H2O to Go. Missed Carolyn but stuck my money in the envelope and came back home. A bunch of longhorns followed me up the driveway and I had to show them some tough love. I gave them a scare and they stampeded out of here. Benita followed them out and got into it with some of them to make sure they stay away. Then she slowly made her way back and got her reward.

Late lunch at the GrubShack and didn't get to welding until about 4PM. Finished up all the welds by 8:15. Now the official tally is in: each truss takes 18 pieces of 20' rebar. Time logged on the generator which has mostly been used for the welding is 15.4 hours. Next step is to get 'er mounted on the containers (I think these are going to work just fine) ...then 5 more trusses to fabricate. Photo of the day is a funky bug that eats flies for me.

To Seth, the 100,000th blog viewer - fire off your address to my email and I will send you a special Field Lab prize!

13 comments:

lynette355 said...

seth amazing great job winning

love the bug that eat bugs needed around these parts

grub shack is getting quite a reputation here. had to look it up online (thanks ben) saw review video

seth said...

Hey John, thanks. Email coming your way.

Unknown said...

awesome picture John. any idea what species it is?

Rusty said...

I see these bugs with bees in there grasp. Drilling their proboscis into the back of their little heads! Good times....

Anonymous said...

Great photo, I like bees until they sting. But I cant say I like flys for anything. whats the bug called?

Lexstok said...

As long as the bug doesn't bug you ! Something bug took a bite out of my skin on my ankle, it's been painful and swollen since 2 days now...

MsBelinda said...

Congratulations to Seth!!!

You had not mentioned Benita in a while, glad to know she is still the official "guard cow" at the Field Lab.

gumo said...

I believe the insect is a robber fly.

http://www.bentler.us/eastern-washington/animals/insects/flies/robber-fly.aspx

TexasMan said...

Now onward to 200,000!

Allen Hare said...

Are you getting any ideas on how to get the truss up on the containers? I see from one of the previous photos that you have a come along. That could be your answer, if you can find a high enough point to anchor it to.

Billy Bob said...

Holy cow, now we have two Billy Bobs. I done thought someone stoled my identity. I would think google would check if a name was already being used.
John....good look'n truss ya got there. Can't wait for the first one to go up. Take your time. By the way, did you get the solar oven back up and running?

Cactus BB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cactus BB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.