Monday, August 31, 2009

tool time

Been getting into the low 60's at night finally - I think the big HOT is on the way out for the winter. Got a late start this morning....called my neighbor Marbert about borrowing some of his scaffolding - left a message. Kind of waited around just in case I got a call back quickly and decided to do some quiet work by hand painting part of truss number 1. Didn't hear the phone ring but kind of got into the zen of the paint job and kept at it for 2 hours even though using the sprayer will be the way to go.

Fired up the gen and started chopping rebar by 1PM...got the long lengths cut for truss 3 then had some other neighbors stop by for a visit. Back to work for about a half hour and the chop saw shit the bed ( time to replace the brushes I reckon - will deal with that later ). As I need to make at least 1,000 more chops - time for a brand new tool. I shot up to Alpine and bought a chopper of my own. Quick round trip and I was back in business - finished cutting all the parts for the first half of truss 3 by 8PM.

7 comments:

K1p said...

John it's looking good out there! I haven't seen a shot of your spread from atop that mesa, or maybe I missed that one.

rj said...

Better watch out... kind of looks like Jesus up there on the hill...might have more tourists than you want...

Allen Hare said...

I like the long shot of The Field Lab.
You managed to get some stuff done today, even with the delays.

Anonymous said...

Every man should have his own chopper..

Anonymous said...

That photo shows your place in such a different light. I always thought you were in the middle of a flat field. Very nice, how does it effect your solar and wind power being so close to the hill?

Bee said...

Which direction from the house is the hill, north, south, east or west?

John Wells said...

The long view is looking from NW to SE. The hill is almost a half mile away from the Field Lab and 250 higher. Due to image compression when using a telephoto lens, it looks much closer.