Thursday, December 18, 2008

Slow Dome Builder

Scrambled this morning to prep my ingredients for another batch of solar baked cornbread. Before mixing up the liquid portions, I waited to see if the sun was going to cooperate today. While it was still cloudy, I ran the wires for my solar panels and the anemometer through conduit into the battery house. Suddenly it looked like a patch of clear sky was coming so I decided to go for it and mix up the batter and toss it in the oven. While the cornbread slowly baked, I wired up the connections from the solar panels. The cornbread was done 2 hours later.
Picked up a bag of concrete mix and prepped the hole for the anemometer pole mount. Got it all situated and poured the concrete. Tomorrow I will install the pole and supports - and the anemometer readout in the battery house. By 3:30, sun looked like it was about to be covered by clouds so I took a nice warm shower while I had the chance.
Drove over to ( reluctant rock star ) Trevor Reichman's dome project to check up on his progress. I'm trying to light a fire under his ass to git'r'done. The light was just right for a couple of photos. The dome and the exoskeleton.








Scooted home at 5:30 to pick up my cornbread and drove to the American Legion Post for the monthly pot luck supper. This is the first one I have attended since moving out here. Had a nice chat with some of the old locals I've gotten to know. Excellent amount of food and lots of variety - and all good people. I didn't know what I was missing.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

All this solar cornbread talk is making me mighty hungry...

Shadowmoss said...

That solar oven would probably cook up a nice pot of beans to go with that cornbread. :)

kahuna said...

Does ferrocement mean that it is magnetic? or that you can stick magnets to it? that's gotta be convenient in ways that I haven't worked out yet, aside from being able to eliminate thumbtacks.

trevor.reichman said...

Unfortunately, the dome has had to take a backseat to music and writing projects. At the moment, it is a great source of shade and I am thankful to have shade in the desert.

Don Bryant's dome design can be constructed pretty quickly for someone who has time to work on it full time, especially if they have prior experience with building.

It is my first time building anything, other than a song. I often get stuck, due to lack of experience and money, but I am trying my best and happy with the progress so far. I am especially thankful to friends who have helped out.

At least it is not a 30 year mortgage...talk about slow.

MsBelinda said...

You are getting good at bread making!!!

I am suprised at the number of people that have moved to Terlingua recently and chosen to lead an alternate lifestyle.

I am also amazed at the number of people from that area that have blogs and I am grateful that they do because I can live vicariously thru you all.

John Smith said...

I am trying to build a dome in ferrocement. Can I ask some questions?