Friday, December 26, 2008

walkabout

Zero'd in in my SE corner today. Marked it with a flag on a 10' piece of re bar. Primarily used GoogleEarth to mark the spot based on distances and directions from visible landmarks. The posted flag is approximately 350 yards from The Field Lab headquarters. My four favorite technologies are the Internet, Doppler Radar, GoogleEarth, and portable GPS. The physical world at my fingertips.

Decided to explore by foot - out and about. Chose an easy route to check out for a first look. Even left a note and a map of the proposed route at my house....just in case - a smart thing to do when living and traveling in the outback. In my travels, I came across a cattle trail. I wonder how long they have been taking this path. Mostly longhorn tracks but also some signs of coyotes. I call it the critter trail. My trip was only about 1.5 miles in 3 hours but lots of incredible scenery and rock formations. Had to wind around quite a bit on the return leg due to deep ravines feeding the canyon. No super-duper fossils found on this trek.






1 comment:

MsBelinda said...

Good idea to leave a map of where you took off to just in case. Have you ever ran into any snakes while you have been hiking on your property?