Monday, January 26, 2009

Another Dam?

Not a typical Monday like in the real world. First of all, I didn't slave away for someone else all week just to have my two precious weekend days off. And best of all, I didn't go to bed last night dreading this morning. However I had really weird dreams last night that woke me up at 3:45 AM...nothing special really, but just the kind of dreams where the first thing you think when you wake up is.....where on earth did that come from? More entertaining than disturbing. Didn't go back to bed until 5AM....woke up at 7:30 from yet another weird dream...maybe I need to change my diet....

Thankful to be back in reality in my waking hours - I took most of the morning fine tuning my SHWH. Not a good Full Sun Day, but the water has started heating up. Not enough yet for that elusive shower. We have 2 more cloudy days on tap so I will really be pushing the shower limit. Early afternoon I rigged the pull chain ( rope ) valve mechanism and built and installed one of the insulated side walls for the tank. ( the north side )
Just as I was finishing up some more shower stall bracing - my brilliant friend Whitebear showed up with his digger/grader to make quick work of yet another project at the Field Lab. There is a spot just downstream from the dam I built last year that needs some major clearing in order to build another dam. He dug out the spot effortlessly and created a nice berm to direct water. This guy really knows how water runs out here and exactly how to move earth to sway the flow in "a more appropriate" direction. Each pass of his box blade was a whole days worth of digging by hand. Now I just have to wait for the next good downpour (someday) to wash out the area so I can build the next dam. Nice to have a project lined up that is most likely months away from having to be completed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Wells, what is a dam used for in the Field Lab? Doesn't rainwater seep into the ground quickly?

Anonymous said...

The difference in the colour of the photos...the one of the right seems almost grey. Is that the difference between sun and cloud cover, or just sun angle...azimuth?

MsBelinda said...

John, I guess you were not kidding about not showering until the project was finished, lol!!!