Sunday, January 25, 2009

perfect day

Today was a perfect day here at the Field Lab as far as progress and great weather are concerned (what else is there, really...). Not a cloud in the sky with a high of 84 today. Plumbed up the solar hot water system with the aid of the Big Bend Ranch Supply store that provided the 7% of parts I still needed. Took a quick break in the action to load 2 chicken breasts into the solar oven. Filled the system with water (no leaks) and now I just wait to see how long it will take to heat up. Still have to rig my pull chain for the shower valve. Just as I finished pumping the water up, my friend Tom Michael showed up with his family for a visit. Tom is the General Manager of my local NPR station, KRTS - Marfa Public Radio - 93.5 on the FM dial with live streaming through the internet at http://www.marfapublicradio.org/ After almost a year of hounding him, he finally came out to interview me for their local show, "Talk at 10". The reason I love this
station is because they produce and air so many great local shows with just the right mix of nationally syndicated NPR programming. I'm looking forward to renewing my membership to the station next month. Tom's children earn the honor of being the youngest visitors to the Field Lab. Here is his daughter instinctively finding the only shade available in the desert - under my solar oven.





5 comments:

MsBelinda said...

That shower is turning out to be a masterpiece. Good job!!

ret FL PI said...

Better finish that shower soon John, people are starting to notice which way the wind is blowing when they are in your proximity!!

T&K said...

So that's where Fiona Mae left her hat... It was GREAT to see the Field Lab, John. Thanks. - T&K

trevor.reichman said...

Marfa Radio Rules!

T&K said...

Thanks for the visit, John. It was great to meet you. And what an inspiration to see how you have harnessed the power of the sun and the rain and the wind. As we drove home I thought about all you had done and thought "Why on earth haven't we done something similar in every home in America?" And then I thought "I'd better get busy!" Thanks for finding Fiona Mae's hat. The children had a wonderful time exploring your Lab. -- Katherine